1.02.2012

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year 2012!!!

Although I admit I don't follow many Japanese traditions properly, one thing I'm still decent about is the Japanese style of celebrating NYE and New Year.  As you can see with all of these pictures, we take food very seriously in these occasions (although I always take food very seriously).  NYE and New Years are very family oriented events in Japan, and as growing up in suburbs of NYC, it actually has been one of the hardest traditions for me.  Who wouldn't want to party with your friends on NYE, rather than hanging out with (back then) "uncool" family?  Now that I'm older, I have no clue why I've made such a big deal out of it.  I LOVE EATING.

So, here is the dinner my boyfriend and I had on NYE.  Unfortunately, I couldn't go home in NY this New Year, but still celebrated in my family style (which is to eat sushi on NYE).






Eating sushi on NYE is definitely my family's tradition and it's not so common.  The very common thing is to eat soba noodles right before the midnight of NYE.  It's supposed to give you a long, good life.  So, we eat that too on top of the sushi above.  I told you, we take food very seriously!


Then at midnight, we've decided to celebrate in American style by treating ourselves with nice champagne.  I'm more of a Vueve Clicquot or Perrier Jouet kinda gal, but I found this really cheap Moet, we decided to try Moet instead.  I still prefer Perrier Jouet over Moet, but it was a good celebratory champagne!

Eating continues on New Years.  Since it takes too much time and effort to make all of these dishes by ourselves, we just purchased them at the store.  Although, my boyfriend kindly cooked the soup dish called "ozouni" which is also a very traditional dish you eat on New Years.


We didn't had mikan (or tangerine) at home, so we decided to go with lime instead on these rice cakes.  It looks so wrong, but I liked it.  Haha.



Then we also had this red beans dessert.  Now, I'm seriously due for a long, long distance run!!!


Hope everyone had a great new year as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment