7.23.2011

Obon festival

Japanese drums playing in West LA...



 

 

Quite frankly, I don't really miss the humid, VERY hot summer in Japan.  But I must admit, its summer festivals are awesome!  Great food, fireworks, and traditional "bon-odori" (dancing), it has many qualities that American festivals just cannot offer.  So after hearing about this "Obon" festival that was gonna be held in West LA, I had to convince my boyfriend and friends to go there with me in yukata (Japanese traditional summer dress) :)  Although it lacked fireworks and typical Japanese festival food like "takoyaki" (octopus ball) and "yakisoba" (fried noodles), there were many things I truly appreciated.  Plus, I got to wear my yukata!  Only if it didn't take 1 hour to put on (To be fair, I've never done it myself.  If you're good at it, it shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes), I would have been able to enjoy it longer, but nonetheless it was great!

2 comments:

  1. beautiful Yukata Girls!!!!
    anyway, the foods of this event is such a
    looking so *YUMMY!!!!
    and so good you have an amazing smile in it :D
    Summertime!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rie-chan! Next time you should be in the pic too :)

    ReplyDelete